Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My pumpkin plant update

Remember my pumpkin plant...

I always joked about Brian's plant out growing my plant all the time... (Brian's plant is in the background)

His plant just kept getting bigger, faster and mine never really caught up to his...

Well, we figured it out. That seed was not good genetically. It was growing at a very slow pace, didn't have any good male flowers and female fruit. The male flowers all looked like below on the right, no center stamens where it contains the pollen. The females, on the left, they didn't look right either. In the center is a multi segmented stigma which looked not healthy and deformed. Every time Brian tried to get a pumpkin growing on my plant, it would abort itself. So with many days of discussion, we decided to pull my plant. Even if we did get a pumpkin to grow, we wouldn't use those seeds to grow another next year. It would probably have the same problems as this plant. It was for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment